The Oakland Summer Learning Network (OSLN) is a coordinated and collaborative effort to develop a citywide system of quality summer learning opportunities in Oakland, with a focus on improving access for children and youth from under-resourced families. Our vision is that the children and youth of Oakland have equitable access to high quality summer learning opportunities.
Background and History
The OSLN was created in 2011 as a collaborative effort of several private schools, community-based organizations, and government agencies in Oakland, working to expand the number of summer learning opportunities for middle school youth.
For several years, the Rogers Foundation and the Oakland Literacy Coalition took the lead in convening the group. In 2014, the Partnership for Children & Youth adopted the convening role with funding from the Rogers, Scully, and Long Foundations. With consultation from the National Summer Learning Association (NSLA), the OSLN has been focused on developing an action plan towards the creation of a more coherent summer learning system across Oakland.
We hope that a citywide system will yield increased equity in access, increased communication between providers of all types, a clearer understanding of the resources available and the needs of the community, a shared vision of quality, and an opportunity to learn from each other.
Progress Since 2015
- Shared Vision and Citywide Coordination: We created and refined the OSLN mission and vision and set goals and projects to address the mission.
- Engaged Leadership: We asked leaders from the school district, city, and community based organizations to adopt the National Summer Learning Association’s Community Indicators for Effective Summer Learning Systems framework of best practices to guide our work.
- Data Management System: We collected and utilized data to better understand the needs of the children and youth being served, the programs available, and the unmet need for additional quality summer learning opportunities.
- Continuous Quality Improvement: We identified opportunities to align continuous quality improvement strategies across the city.
- Marketing and Communications: We created an interactive and informative guide to summer learning opportunities in Oakland.
- Shared Vision and Citywide Coordination: We plan to clarify the vision and activities of the OSLN for in order to better communicate with city leaders and other stakeholders.
- Data Management System: We plan to identify opportunities to share data across the system.
- Continuous Quality Improvement: We plan to identify opportunities to align resources and practices that support continuous improvement.
- Sustainable Resources: We plan to identify opportunities to coordinate funding and resources.
To learn more, or join the Oakland Summer Learning Network, sign up for the mailing list below or contact Daren Howard at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Oakland Summer Learning Network is a collaborative project of the Partnership for Children & Youth and its partners, aimed at expanding summer learning opportunities in Oakland.